Although Magda and Michael Lechowicz originally hail from Poland, the brother and sister team have brought a taste of France to Greenpoint. And discerning neighborhood sweet teeth have been grateful ever since. Since opening in October, Charlotte Patisserie has become well known for silky lattes and a display case of miniature pastries so dazzling you’d sooner frame than eat them. Chef Michael usually makes tarts with a wide assortment of fruit, but with bikini season looming, he’s decided to provide Gazette readers with an easy-to-make vegetable-based dish. Not only a healthy snack, the tart’s caramelized onions and fresh tomatoes rethinks the age-old notion of a good pie.
240 grams tart dough: pate brisee
2 onions, thinly sliced
Fresh ripe tomatoes, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Roll the dough into a circle approximately 9inches in diameter
2. Place the onions in a pan with a small amount of oil and cook them slowly until caramelized set aside to cool.
3. Cover the tart dough with the cooled onions.
4. Decorate the tart with the tomato slices and season with salt and pepper
5. Bake the tart until the crust is baked through and brown.
Type your name and email address below, then click "Submit" to be added to our spam-free email list.